Foreskin is the retractable layer of skin that provides protection to the urethral opening of the penis, and also surrounds the penis’ bulbous tip. Circumcision removes the foreskin that surrounds the end of the penis.
Circumcision may be performed for religious, cultural, family or medical reasons and is typically performed on newborns. However, many adolescents and adults decide to have this procedure as well because of persistent infections of the foreskin, urinary tract infections, or pain and bleeding during erections.
Circumcised males have fewer urinary infections and are better protected against sexually transmitted diseases later in life. According to the National Institutes of Health, adult circumcision can reduce the risk of HIV transmission by 50 percent.
The Benefits of Circumcision
- Easier hygiene
- Decreased risk of urinary tract infections
- Prevention of penile problems. Occasionally, the foreskin on an uncircumcised penis may narrow so much that it’s difficult or impossible to retract. This can also lead to inflammation of the head of the penis.
- Decreased risk of penile cancer. Although cancer of the penis is very rare, it’s less common in circumcised men.
- Decreased risk of sexually transmitted diseases.
For these reasons, more and more men are opting for this procedure.
Adult Circumcision Procedure
Anesthesia is given to numb the penis, the procedure only lasts for about thirty to fourty-five minutes. After the anesthesia the procedure is done with extreme care as facilitate fast recovery.
After the procedure the individual has to apply antiseptic creams and maintain hygiene of the area. He also should refrain from intercourse for 3-4 weeks.
Frenulum is a band extending from the lower aspect of penis. In some men it can be tight (Even after circumcision) and lead to discomfort. It can be corrected by a simple procedure under local anaesthesia.
Summary of Circumcision
- Duration of procedure: 30mins
- Duration of hospital stay: Day care procedure
- Need of follow-up: No
- Stitch removal: No
- Cost: Rs.25000 plus 15% Service Tax
Ask Your Query
Contura Clinic, 2nd Floor, Above KFC, 80 feet Kammanahalli Main road, HRBR 3rd Block, Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore
08047094167 or 7022543542
We are open: All Days 10 AM – 8 PM